May 13, 2013

American canyons


 

 
Grand Canyon, AZ: a night of camping and riding along the southern rim

I follow the Colorado river and travel through more canyons until arriving at Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah. As I drop into the visitor centre there’s a few bikes parked and head over to chat to the guy and girl near a Bonneville, the first I have seen in the states since leaving the dealership. It turns out Robin has an issue with his chain so we throw around some ideas until a Triumph mechanic fortunately happens to turn up so we settle on his advice. Pam and I cruise along the canyon rim until dusk, a really beautiful spot.  
 
 

Bryce Canyon, UT: more diverse than the Grand Canyon
 

Bryce Canyon, UT: I stay the night in the canyon - a few beers, bike talk and camping with Robin and his T100. I leave with Robin’s map taking recommendations from his previous few days.

 
 
 

Glen Valley, UT: See the video below, this was my favourite day of riding so far, I covered 400 miles riding above and at the bottom of several canyons, clear sky, winding roads across rivers amongst an alien landscape. 



 
 


 
Moki Dugway, UT: I reach here late in the day delighted with the views. My tires aren't suited for these types of dusty, gravel roads so I descend the canyon switchbacks cautiously. Exciting stuff. 
 

Colorado: From the deserts and canyons I soon cover parts of the Rocky Mountains once I cross into Colorado. There’s some great riding through the old gold and silver mining towns of Silverton and Ouray amongst the snowcapped mountains. I stop by a motorcycle shop on the way up to try and get some help with a suspension tool I was searching for, only it’s closed but I notice someone unpacking a touring back in the bike, I greet and chat with David for a while, a real gentleman who passed on some great advice as he just returned from a five month ride through Mexico.